At Elroy Air, we are building autonomous cargo aircraft systems that will change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air can be much faster than by land or sea – but before recent developments in perception, autonomy, electric powertrain and aerospace materials, air transport has remained too expensive. We’re going to change that. And we’re solving a big problem – the express logistics industry worldwide spends $140B annually.
The Elroy team has a proven track record in UAVs and drones, with veterans from 3D Robotics, Airware and Honeywell forming the founding and early team. We’ve started (and sold) hardware companies before. We are engineers, designers and product people who are obsessed with creating robust, easy-to-use technology that solves big real-world problems.
This isn’t our first rodeo, but there’s a lot of exciting work ahead. You will play a critical part in designing and developing the Elroy Air system.
Our future partners and customers are responding enthusiastically. As we prepare to pilot our vehicles with customers, we are looking for people like you: motivated teammates excited by this mission and by the rare opportunity to develop a world-class autonomous air transport system.
There are a lot of jobs out there that you could easily get, we know that. But – speaking without humility for a second – few will be nearly as exciting as this. Come join us!
This is a full-time position at our headquarters in San Francisco, CA.
As a flight software engineer, you will be responsible for the design, architecture, implementation and testing of all safety-critical flight software on the Elroy autonomous cargo transport aircraft. You will work closely with team members in avionics, flight controls, path planning, and autonomy to ensure the seamless and robust implementation of our state-of-the-art autonomy and flight control stack on embedded real-time hardware. The work will span a broad swath of the software stack, from ensuring the reliable performance of low-level peripheral drivers to the timely execution of high-level vehicle control loops.
What You’ll Own
- The design, development, verification and deployment of Elroy’s flight software stack on embedded target hardware.
- The creation and execution of the flight software development roadmap, aligning software milestones in development, infrastructure, automated test, etc., with company-wide aircraft program goals.
- You will be the critical link between other internal engineering teams focused on hardware, vehicle performance requirements, simulation, testing, and algorithms to ensure the safety and reliability of our deployed systems.
- Development, implementation, and execution of automated test fixtures and infrastructure to verify the functionality and robustness of released software.
- Software support and participation in flight tests to prototype and validate our system’s functionality.
- Flight software requirements specification, management and tracking, with an eye towards software certification when necessary.
Our Ideal Candidate Has
- 7+ years of hands-on experience in object oriented design, C/C++ implementation and test.
- Strong background in designing, developing, and deploying safety-critical software for real time systems, ideally on large-scale aerial platforms.
- Experience with embedded real-time operating systems (bring-up, toolchain setup, driver configuration, abstraction layers, task scheduling, etc.)
- A strong bias towards embracing and enforcing safety-critical coding standards and guidelines (JSF++, MISRA, AUTOSAR, etc.).
- Experience translating system & subsystem requirements into trackable software requirements.
- The ability to work and thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
Bonus Points For
- Experience implementing flight controls, autonomy, sensor fusion, and navigation algorithms on resource-constrained embedded targets
- Experience with systems comprising a diverse set of hardware interfaces, communications buses, peripheral devices, and sensors
- Familiarity with aviation software certification standards & processes (e.g. DO-178C).
- Experience with developing system architectures and avionics for large (1000’s of lbs) UAVs or VTOL aircraft
Share this article:
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)