Airbus believes in the potential of Urban Air Mobility (UAM) to transform our cities for the better. By pushing the limits of technology in the fields of connectivity, artificial intelligence, autonomous systems and electric propulsion, our aim is to develop sustainable mobility systems that bring maximal societal benefit while causing minimal environmental impact. To this end, Airbus is harnessing its expertise across the company to develop solutions that will unlock the third dimension of urban mobility and offer viable alternatives to connect people.
As our Aircraft Design Engineer, you will report directly to the Pre-Design and Flight Physics Lead and be responsible for developing, validating and maintaining multi-disciplinary design sizing and optimization tools.
To get specific, your responsibilities will be to:
- Develop and validate models of eVTOL aircraft components, and integrate these models in a multi-disciplinary design and optimization (MDO) framework
- Work with engineers and specialists across various disciplines pertaining to aircraft systems, to evolve a sizing framework with first principles-based models
- Perform sensitivity analyses using the MDO framework to clearly identify the key trade-offs between vehicle weight, size, complexity, and performance
- MS in Aerospace Engineering or a related discipline
- Ability to formulate, synthesize physics-based models of eVTOL components
- 1+ year of experience in aircraft/helicopter pre-sizing
- Proficiency in applied optimization methods for aircraft design
- 3+ years experience in applied aero & structural analysis of rotors, fixed wings
- Familiarity with certification standards (FAR Part 23 and Part 27)
- Proficiency in scripting languages (Python, Matlab, shell) and working knowledge of compiled programming languages (Fortran, C/C++)
- Working knowledge of Unix-based operating systems (Linux, Mac)
- PhD in Aeronautics/Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering
- 3+ years experience in aircraft propeller and helicopter rotor design and analysis (aerodynamics and structures)
- Background in aircraft/helicopter flight dynamics
- Familiarity with market based economic and aircraft direct operating cost models
- Familiarity with safety analysis for aircraft/helicopter certification
- 1+ year experience in reduced-order modeling and response surface optimization
- Working knowledge of electric propulsion system modeling or design
- Experience in Object-oriented programming
- Version control with Git or another DVCS
- Agile methods, and related tools, e.g. JIRA, Bitbucket
- Experience in Manufacturing Engineering
You are a team player who enjoys learning continuously. You know how to earn the trust of a team and you are accountable for your actions. We need you to be technology savvy and adaptable, so you can develop new solutions to support the nascent UAM organization. Ultimately, we need you to be able to convey the fun, excitement, and fast pace of Airbus UAM.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.
Share this article:
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)