Located in Northern California, Joby Aviation has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
About The Job
As the Additive Manufacturing Lead located in our Marina office, you will lead al technical aspects of the additive design and manufacturing team while developing the company’s presence in breakthrough additive manufacturing. You will work cross-functionally with other teams including Design, Finance, Legal, Composites Manufacturing, and Subtractive Manufacturing. Your management of the additive team will expedite the team’s push from research and development into production and certification.
- Guide development of documentation toward certification standards
- Direct the team regarding manufacturing goals, research and development of equipment, setting production guidelines
- Provide technical guidance for materials research, hardware diagnostics, and production development.
- Work with other engineering teams to create and meet large project expectations
- Work with Operations Lead to set budgetary expectations and project timelines
- Some domestic and international travel will be required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Management, a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Several years experience managing a high-budget, high-output team.
- Rock solid engineering fundamentals and understanding of applications in additive.
- Extensive knowledge of and skill in DFAM (Design for Additive Manufacturing Technologies) including SLM, DED, SLS, MJF, SLA, and DLS, etc.
- Strong understanding of and skill in design optimization for conventional manufacturing technologies including CNC milling, casting, turning, injection molding, etc.
- Familiarity and experience with NDT and metrology methods applicable to AM.
- Ability to stand, walk, climb stairs, crouch around machines, and lift up to 50 lbs regularly
- MS in Mechanical Engineering, Additive Design, Management
Please submit a cover letter and portfolio with your application.
Share this article:
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)